Thursday, January 10, 2008

Life is funny

Who watched Wowowee today?

Who would ever believe that I actually went to ABS-CBN and waited in line to be part of the Wowowee audience and dance all those dances that I have always not liked? Haha. Yes friends, much to my distress, me and my psych group mates actually danced to Sayaw Darling and the Wowowee theme songs and smiled our biggest smiles while doing so. *shudders*

Hahaha! I hope none of my family saw me on tv. Haha! The camera focused on us more than twice. Close up. More than fifteen seconds each, I think. And on tv, that’s already long! Especially when you’re doing something you used to 100% believe you’ll NEVER be caught dead doing. Srsly. Never in my craziest imaginations have I seen myself doing that.

Let’s get some perspective here. In the car, when my dad or my brother is looking for a good radio station, whenever they hear some novelty song, they’d turn the volume up, savoring every twitch in my face and every minute that I try to endure whatever was playing. They love bothering me like that. So you see, if ever my dad or my brother ever saw me doing that, they wouldn’t let me hear the end of it. Ever.


Life often plays tricks on you, really.

Now let’s move on to the culrpit. Haha! Well, we did it for our field methods class in psych. Hmmm… how do I explain it plainly? Hmm… let’s just say that we were told to role-play. That’s a bit too simplistic, haha. But basically, the examples were: pretending to be a beggar, a vendor, a janitor, a gasoline girl, a snatcher, an insane person, a prostitute, etc… We chose to pretend to be fans. Haha! Okay now after mentioning those, what we did seems too easy. Hmm… how do I explain the rationale behind it? Well basically, our professor told us that if we want to understand a certain group of people, nothing beats actual experience. So actual experience, it is. Haha! And by the way, some of the examples mentioned above were done for a semester and the dangerous ones, like pretending to be a snatcher and a prostitute, have backups and arrangements. Ours was only for a few hours.

Okay it’s not as easy as it seems. Defensive, haha! It’s really putting yourself in somebody else’s shoes, seeing for yourself how the world treats you if you’re in their position. Basically with we didn’t pretend to be someone else. We came as ourselves. Only that our real selves would have never gone there in the first place. Haha! So anyway, we learned a lot about what happens there, stuff people don’t really see on air. Hmmm… And those are reserved for our field report ;)

Oftentimes people take things as given. But then again, ethnomethodology tells us that rather than being concerned with the outcome/product, we should look at the process and start asking why, start noticing the informal structures within the formal ones…


Okay I was blabbering haha and that was kinda vague. Sorrrry.


Who would’ve ever thought I’d learn so much from going to Wowowee? Okay I still can’t believe everything that occurred today. Haha! Clarification though… those weren’t things that the show taught us. If any, the only things we directly learned from the show was how to dance to their songs, follow their instructions…The things we learned were more from our own observation of how things are like ;) Kayyyy I don’t want to go on blabbering now. Haha!

*Janna, the new host, is Jam’s cousin J Pictures in my multi to follow.
**I told myself that my absence from 108 last Monday would be the very very last for the entire sem. I missed my 108 again today. For Wowowee
K Haha
***Thanks to Jam’s tita who got us tickets
J
****Si Jam lss! Hahaha! :p

Dear life,

Among the things I have always believed I’ll never be caught doing, what will you make, no—make that coerce me to do next?

Love,
Me.

No comments: